“How do I become a Christian?” That is the absolute most important question that has ever been asked! The only way to answer this question about becoming a Christian is to answer it biblically. We must remember that the question isn’t “How do I become a Catholic-Christian?” Or, “How do I become a Baptist-Christian?” Or, “How do I become a Pentecostal Christian?” The question is simply, “How do I become a Christian?”
1. The Bible says that a Christian is a “disciple” (Acts 11:26).
2. Jesus gives His apostles clear instructions about how to “make disciples” in Matthew 28:18-20. Jesus says that a disciple is someone who has been baptized “in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit” and has been taught to “observe all that I commanded you”.
3. So we can conclude that in order to become a Christian a person must be taught about Jesus (what He said and what He did) and be baptized in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
As we look through the Bible we see people becoming Christians in exactly that way. They are taught about Jesus and then they are baptized. In fact, after the crowd had been taught about Jesus on the day of Pentecost in Acts 2, they asked this question, “What shall we do?” (Acts 2:37). I would assume they were asking what shall we do to be saved. And this was Peter’s inspired response, “Repent, and let each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit” (Acts 2:38).
When we read in Acts 8 about Philip teaching an Ethiopian man about Jesus. The Ethiopian man wanted to be baptized immediately after being taught about Jesus. He said, “Look! Water! What prevents me from being baptized” (Acts 8:36)? Philip first wanted to make sure that the Ethiopian man really believed. Philip said, “If you believe with all your heart, you may.” And the Ethiopian man responded back, “I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God” (Acts 8:37). We then read, “He ordered the chariot to stop; and they both went down into the water, Philip as well as the eunuch; and he baptized him” (Acts 8:38). From that moment forward, the Ethiopian man “went on his way rejoicing” (Acts 8:39) because he was now a Christian.
So it seems fairly straightforward to me, in order to become a disciple of Jesus, or in other words, in order to become a Christian a person must:
1) Be taught the gospel of Jesus Christ (Matthew 28:18-20).
2) Believe it with all your heart (Acts 8:37).
3) Confess that belief (Acts 8:38)
4) Repent of your sins (Acts 2:38).
5) And be baptized for the forgiveness of your sins (Matthew 28:18-20; Acts 2:38; Acts 8:38; Acts 22:16; 1 Peter 3:21; Romans 6:1-5; Galatians 3:27-28).
6) Live as a Christian (1 John 1:7).
I hope this information helps you as you ask the question, “How do I become a Christian.” I would encourage you to continue asking this question and continue looking in the Word of God for the answers. I would love to help you with this as much as I can. Please visit my website at RadicallyChristian.com.